Skip over navigation

Services

Forum

Public sector more committed to reducing carbon

Related content: Public sector more committed to reducing carbon

This thread has been locked so no more comments can be added.

Neil Tilley
Member - 120 posts
21 Feb 2012 8:17AM

I am in a public sector organisation. A small one. I take pride in making cost savings, that cost nothing, but ingenuity and common sense. Throughout the last 2 years I've been looking at ways to save money, ways to consider the environment and act positively toward reducing emissions. If everybody did the same as I, they would save small fortunes. I have all the arguments of health and safety, environmental initiatives, sustainable future, and nice to haves giving me big in-roads to save environmental impact and save hard cash. The statistics over time are proving these savings. It is true to say, being environmentally friendly today, is cheaper than not being concerned, over that of 10 years ago. The case I have to offer is if everyone done a little of this at work, just a couple of hours thought, then they will save money. Caring for the environment or saving money really doesn't matter which one is the priority if a common sense approach is adopted.
Examples in truth: headaches, fainting, listlessness, feeling over sparky but not feeling too positive about it, irritable, anger issues, tetchy, and any negatives you may feel at work, that you haven't felt before, a large percentage of staff feeling the same (10% is large for the argument) - are you a start up organisation, mobilising or in transition states? Would you believe an ambient light survey could prove to reduce fainting, headaches and the like? Well it can, and also save over £3000 per year based on 11,000 square feet for the argument for! Does your organisation have a policy on lighting levels generally, and for specific tasks? You could be missing a trick here, imagine one 26 watt / 240 volt tube, on for 10 hours a day, 290 days a year, and what it costs the business. Then imagine turning off 90 lamps so that ambient light is more even across the main areas, to a lux reading at the desk set by your policy. When you walk around London at night, most offices have all the lights on, shedding light on no-one. What if you turned all unnecessary lamps off over night... Did I just save you another £3000 a year? Just on lighting alone in the workplace, I believe there is a lot of money to be saved, without considering environmental impacts. Reducing occurences of deliveries in by ordering more, less frequently reduces carbon footprint, but in saving fuel, you are putting hidden money back in to your suppliers pocket. Negotiating discount year on year because of your best practice methods. If everyone thought about their delivery schedules, it would save carbon footprint and put hidden costs back in the pocket of your supplier, potentially a negotiating point in the future. I haven't mentioned LED lighting upgrades, because the lamps are expensive, but more viable in a new build don't you think? I would say, getting in an expert to tell you the bleeding obvious does seem a bit barmy too, many do, but I'd only do it for a new build, move fit-out, or in a large scale premises. Something of that ilk.

Will Hough
Member - 160 posts
20 Feb 2012 1:14PM

Surely reducing energy consumption (turning off lights, walking instaed of using car, etc) is about saving money not spending it, Ernie?

Ernie Smith
Member - 242 posts
15 Feb 2012 8:39AM

They don't have to make a profit to survive, they just need to spend more of our taxes.

This thread has been locked so no more comments can be added.

Why choose elearning

Forum disclaimer