Skip over navigation

Services

Forum

Employees distracted by scantily clad colleagues

Related content: Employees distracted by scantily clad colleagues

This thread has been locked so no more comments can be added.

Emma Nicholas
Member - 0 posts
15 Sep 2011 10:24PM

This post has been removed because it contravened our guidelines.

wayne fearn
Member - 165 posts
10 Sep 2011 9:57AM

Hi Jerry,

You forget that business is not about people and their individualness.

Everything must be regimental and dull!

Except in Hooters..............(although I have never been to that establishment)

Jerry Hill
Member - 1 post
8 Sep 2011 1:00PM

If I owned a Rembrandt or Gainsborough original painting, I would possess a thing of beauty. Would I cover it up or would I proudly display it? I'd display it!

The human body, both male and female CAN be, a thing of beauty and for those of you lucky enough to possess such a 'body-beautiful', (and I'm envious of you!) then to put it on show, within the bounds of common decency, of course, should pose no problem to socirty in general. But whilst everyone should have the right to wear what they want to, don't be surprised if people admire what you place on show. (I do accept there's a big difference between a lecherous ogle and an admiring glance) Just accept the fact that you can still 'turn-heads'.

Mark
Member - 63 posts
8 Sep 2011 11:19AM

I guess this spells the end for my micro-kilt and string vest. Sorry girls.

wayne fearn
Member - 165 posts
7 Sep 2011 6:12PM

Hi Neil,

>>>On one tender exercise, a formal meeting to tour the premises, a young sales development manager arrived on site with yellow socks! Call me old fashioned if you will but... Picture this, black suit with trousers too short revealing yellow socks, open shirt with chest wig, dripping in gold. Is that the dress code/sense of a guy after new business. First impressions last.

Long live the office lothario! You sound very jealous and I believe asda do an amazing range of mulit-coloured socks (not sure about the chest wig though!?!?!).

Please keep up!

LOL!!

Will Hough
Member - 160 posts
7 Sep 2011 9:26AM

I'm just jealous that there is an opportunity for half the working population to be 'scantily clad' - I've just gone through another English summer (two warm weeks just before Wimbledon, eight weeks of clouds and slightly warmer rain than March) dressed in long trousers and collared shirts whilst my female colleagues get to dress to the knee in weather appropriate clothing.

Neil Tilley
Member - 120 posts
7 Sep 2011 8:59AM

In one of my workplaces, we had a guy state that a secure room for sensitive information should be re-visited for risk as having the locked door and working with women only is a danger for him. He explained that he is so attractive to women that they can't help themselves but to flaunt and faun over him, often offering him physical favours outside of the workplace when he takes them to the pub. He further stated that with such come ons in a locked room, he cannot be held responsible for his actions, especially as they often say ''No!'' at the point of no return when he can't be expected to stop. Further stating this happenned before to him and he had to leave employment!!!! Is that not scary? An arrogant man and doting females in the workplace! Maybe I'm too ugly along with the rest of all my male colleagues, as I've not ever witnessed anything near the like before in over 30 years working life. Of course I've witnessed relationships in the workplace and some leading to marriage, others leading to one party feeling used and discarded by some smooth talking lothario. Many times heard the phrase from financial secretaries ''I only date rich guys.'' Their fauning and flirting with equities traders in the street would be a case for arrest at times, much like touting for business. The workplace has all the gossip going on doesn't it. Can people not enjoy having a crafty look, an inuendo, casual banter without overstepping the mark? Trouble is perceptions of what constitues 'offence' varies wildly and you need to be a good judge of other peoples character, no when to stop if you are one of those that always pushes boundaries. I can get away with saying love or babe to the girls because I'm openly gay, but my straight colleagues often end up ego bruised for uttering it once. They wonder why and the answer is simple, no threat or alterior motive, wheras the potential is there otherwise.

Business dress is a part of work. Construction workers wear steel toe capped footwear, office workers wear floaty stuff in social care admin, but the nurse has a uniform. An office can be any, and it is vital that you know your client or know the difference between daily toil and external perception. On one tender exercise, a formal meeting to tour the premises, a young sales development manager arrived on site with yellow socks! Call me old fashioned if you will but... Picture this, black suit with trousers too short revealing yellow socks, open shirt with chest wig, dripping in gold. Is that the dress code/sense of a guy after new business. First impressions last.

kevin skinner
Member - 55 posts
6 Sep 2011 8:36AM

Lorraine you could not have put this better, but what a sad world when people cannot dress as they like, ok within limits at work I agree, and as I have said already as long as my team are working well I do not care what they wear, as long as its clean tidy and does not stop them working safely, I should also have put as long as its approporaite to the task in hand.
When Wayne carried out his self defence talk, and the women on the course voiced their views, they where again correct, they had a right to wear what ever they wished.
Just because she wore a short tight skirt, is not a label look I am ready and willing.
The trouble with our society today is the lack of social skills, and morals that had been passed down from our parents and supported at school. Woman are equal in this society of ours, and I am having to watch my words here as I do not want to upset anyone, but there are people and cultures out there who do not look upon a woman as equal, and use and abuse woman, Think I will leave that comment there.
Even thou I am male I take the words of advice from Wayne now as a way of life for every one, not just the females of this world, how sad that we now have to walk in fear.

wayne fearn
Member - 165 posts
6 Sep 2011 4:11AM

I conducted a 'women and rape – self defence' talk many years ago highlighting many of Lorraine’s concerns for being victims of crime.

I deduced that the women I talked too were almost adamant they had a right to wear what ever they so wished (within company descriptions of attire) and seemed ignorant to the fact that they were increasingly potential targets for such attacks.

I highlighted that they must at the very least stay in public and well lit areas, walk with other colleagues, dress conservatively (even if it was just to and from the workplace) and carry a rape alarm of some description. I think the company may have even provided the rape alarms for them.

They were very appreciative of a few self defence tips whereby a would be attacker could be stopped by sounding the alarm in their ears, squirting perfume into their eyes, treading on their toes with a stiletto or using their handbag as a makeshift weapon. Anything to buy a chance to RUN AWAY!

Unfortunately where the younger women dress more scantily in a social setting they allow this sense to dilute into their working uniform and it does cause embarrassment for both male and female colleagues. However in the sense of diversity/discrimination where do you draw the line?

Lorraine Kerr
Member - 256 posts
5 Sep 2011 2:20PM

"...it does seem a pity that some people feel they have to display much of themselves for the benefit of others...A bit like the jungle I suppose. Probably why promiscuity, rapes, broken marriages, std's and unhappy children are in abundance".

Perhaps "some people" enjoy dressing as they do for themselves? Where is the evidence that it's for the benefit of others? And those who don't cover themselves from neck to toe are responsible for all of society's ills?

I'm not a fan of people dressing scantily for work, especially if it is a requirement by the employer (e.g. in pubs or clubs). However, I respect the right of an individual to wear a low-cut top or tight trousers if they wish; I tend to agree with Phil that the "oglers" need to look at themselves.
Susan's views are dangerously close to "She was asking for it, she was wearing a mini-skirt".

Individuals have a responsibility to themselves and, to a certain extent, their employers.

Being scantily dressed in a dark street, drunk & on your own may put you more at risk of being a victim of crime but it doesn't make you guilty for that crime.

Being "inappropriately" dressed at work should only ever be judged in the context of the work that you do, not on whether your average lech can keep his/her eyes on their job.

I applaud Phil's approach to management & can only agree with Kevin's comments about women & firefighters. Aside from it being inappropriate, I just don't get the obsession :-)...see, I can be just as guilty as anyone else but that's my issue, no-one else's!

kevin skinner
Member - 55 posts
5 Sep 2011 10:47AM

Like your last comments Phil, so very true.
and your flexible approach to your work team.
As long as my team are working well I do not care what they wear, as long as its clean tidy and does not stop them working safely.
As for ogling at your work mates and what they are wearing, get real out there, oh and by the way, its the same for both sexes here, the other day the fire brigade turned up and the comments form the ladies was a bit rich.

Phil
Member - 287 posts
2 Sep 2011 7:26PM

Frankly I couldn't care less, except that during work time I expect my staff to work.

I do allow some bending of the rules, such as a quick ciggie, or for one colleague a little bit extra on his lunch hour so he has time to go home and let his dogs out.

Nobody has approached me to ask if they can have a few moments to leer and leech at colleagues, and they'd get a mouthful from me if they did.

I did have a comment from one guy who told me "I can't stop staring at her a**" - this was a woman that wore a business suit.
I gave him time off, and offered to pay for him to see a psychiatrist, and that if he was to continue in that vain, he'd be better off working elsewhere.

If you are ogling at others in a pervy way, question your OWN life!

Susan Walker
Member - 36 posts
2 Sep 2011 2:08PM

As a member of the older generation it does seem a pity that some people feel they have to display much of themselves for the benefit of others. I can only say that these are just lowering their gender! A bit like the jungle I suppose. Probably why promiscuity, rapes, broken marriages, std's and unhappy children are in abundance (look at the evidence). What is so wrong about keeping the mystery? We have one at work and she is the only one who has had a problem with guys getting too familiar. Funny but she was told to go for the same reason from her last job and she wonders why all the bother!

Mark
Member - 63 posts
2 Sep 2011 12:30PM

Sorry William, I just can't live up to that drum roll.
Speaking of ladders though, it does take me back to my childhood when sadly I only had a stepladder, following the departure of my real ladder...

William Chadwick
Member - 8 posts
2 Sep 2011 10:19AM

The case of Schmidt v Austicks Bookshops Limited is still a good reference point.And it involved a mini skirt - a short one - and a reference to ladders!!

I notice from today's bulletin that it is the HSE's exchange ladders day but that will NOW take some readers off on a frolic of their own.juxtaposing one issue(this one) against the other!

I bet Mark has some wonderful puns lined up!

Mark
Member - 63 posts
1 Sep 2011 9:37AM

The low-cut suggestion that any seriously conscientious employee could ever be distracted from their hemline duties at work is absolute cleavage.

m s
Member - 7 posts
1 Sep 2011 9:22AM

It is distracting to note that in this story most percentages quoted are those of "workers". Surely not giving %ages divided into male and female replies betrays the politics behind it all?

Nigel Dupree
Member - 1896 posts
1 Sep 2011 9:20AM

Sooo, having complained about ' it ' everyone has gone off looking for examples !!!

Oh dear no fun anymore but have to accept 'provocative' probably not acceptable and maybe a little less than respectful of associates and peers should the abandonment of clothing become a competitive sport in the office - just sad.

John Bamford
Member - 63 posts
1 Sep 2011 7:08AM

“Nobody wants to see a return to strict, inflexible and formal dress at work"

The management at Birmingham Metro College did in 2009. There have been a number of others - Google a bit to find them.

This thread has been locked so no more comments can be added.

Why choose elearning

Forum disclaimer