Skip over navigation

Human resources

Forum

Can a commercial landlord put up rent without warning?

This thread has been locked so no more comments can be added.

Robert Edwards
Member - 2 posts
19 Apr 2012 9:00AM

Chris

As already stated by others the lease is the key document. The 'Rent Review' clause will set out the mechanism for the review and it usually also sets out what happens when the two sides don't agree. This can be by recourse to Arbitration or reference to an Independent Expert.

It may seem an additional expense to consult a Surveyor for advice but it could save you a lot in the long run.

Bob Edwards

Lou Barton
Member - 3 posts
18 Apr 2012 12:33PM

This post has been removed at its author's request.

Peter Edwards
Member - 65 posts
18 Apr 2012 11:43AM

Hi Chris,
Glenn is correct. You will probably have a review period, eg at half-way. This is very common. There is a Rent Tribunal that you can appeal to who will determine a 'fair rent'. There may also be an agreement in place that, on transfer of ownership, rents have to remain as they are for a period. This may be contained in Regulation/Legislation. Strongly suggest you see a Chartered Surveyor (RICS) who deals with commercial leases. There are websites that cover leases, eg LetLink, but they tend to focus on domestic leases. Still worth a try.
Hope this helps.

Peter Edwards

SUSAN TAYLOR
Member - 239 posts
18 Apr 2012 8:38AM

I agree with Glenn.

It all depends on the cycle for rent rises and any other rise clause whcih all leases will have somewhere.

Glenn Proffitt
Member - 148 posts
17 Apr 2012 10:35AM

Hi Chris

This isn't my warcraft but my first port of call would be to look at the terms and conditions of the lease agreement. There may be stipulations as to the length of lease and agreed charges. This would include life-cycle, maintenance, access/egress and in the case of your problem, rental increases etc. If you cannot find anything that leaps out you should consider taking the agreement to someone more savvy with this sort of thing. They will be able to read the legal fluff and formally determine for you what the landlord can and can't do. If the lease is due or nearly due for renewal I would contact the landlord and agree new terms. if they are uncoperative you then have the option to look somewhere else. a 50% hike seems quite harsh unless the origional rental was very low in the first place.

Chris Harrison
Member - 2 posts
17 Apr 2012 10:19AM

HI all I work for a chairty who has 3 shops accross our county.

One of our shops on an industrial estate as recently seen a change of landlords as the whole estate was bought.

We have just recieved our first bill from them and they have increased the rent from £3000 per quarter to £4500 a quarter without any warning or review.

Can they leagally do this?

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place, I wasnt quite sure where to put it.

Thanks in advance

This thread has been locked so no more comments can be added.

Why choose elearning

Forum disclaimer