Skip over navigation

Robert Moloney's newest comments

Here's a list of Robert Moloney's newest comments:

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
2 Feb 2012 10:16AM

It is interesting that the above mentions making the homes and offices of tomorrow warmer and cheaper to run.
when we know from our lovely new build schools that have modern insulation in them that there is a lot of over heating and air quality issues that are not being addressed.
How many of you saw the Climate change risk assessment that state that the number of days a building would be over 26 degrees will rise from 18 to between 27 and 120 by 2080.
I t seems we are designing in long term problems and as we retrofit cooling systems or other measures to make our buildings operational functional we are adding in long term expenditure as we seek to adapt the very buildings we have built to be warmer and more efficient. when in fact we are in the long term making them less efficient. We are already seeing a trend in serious fuel cost hikes for our energy I know where i have had to modify a new building to sort out over heating and air quality with more planned works scheduled that this is going to add more on a very large electricity bill.
Works that have happened in the last four years since the school was occupied have been 5 new large extraction units put on the roof to take out heat. shading retro fitted in the building. solar film to south facing windows. Boosted the air supply and extraction systems built into the building to there max which is still not enough. removal of radiators where they are just not needed. more air cooling units have been installed along with additional individual room extraction to assist air movement. engineering consults are working on ways to improve things further such as removing window re-strictors and fitting openers which will allow a window to open more but also restricting the possibility of some one falling out which would not add to my electricity bill. When you think of your working environment think also of the welfare of your staff /students/ clients / visitors good air quality is essential and proper room temperature ranges that can be kept in the comfortable range more often than in the extreme temperature range is going to make things a lot better for everyone.

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
22 Sep 2010 10:04AM

interesting artical i work as a premises manager in a bristol school.
here we operate a system that involves the use of an event form which involved all the school staff team in developing a form in which all teachers can follow to ensure all aspects from organisation to risk assessments /who needs to be informed or involved etc is covered. we have a off sites trips co ordinator who is part of the senior leadership team who has recived training and has a lot of skill in this area who supports the teachers. the event form forms part of the risk assessment documentation. it has proved effective in cutting down mistakes and errors and last minute hitches. if any one feels they would like copies i am happy to share best practise.
cheers robert RGS bristol

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
11 Jun 2010 12:55PM

John thanks did all the research risk assessments etc hence the use of the lifts but it was the frustration of having a brand new building that was supposed to be DDA compliant falling short in my oppinion when it came to fire evacuations; and subsequent modifications i have had to make and still implementing changes for example the AA major i mentioned and two more refuge points.
I just want to be able to pass this hard won first hand experience on to designers/users of buildings to avoid future problems but it takes a lot of sustained effort to get the message across.
Under CDM architects are supposed to design out H&S issues.
the very first drill identified a major flaw in that when our wheel chair users left the building at a particular point onto a patio through a fire door there was no where for them then to go as no path had been considered I ended up on insisting on additional pathways as a defect of the design.
Thats why I feel our building knowledge as FM's is essential and we need to be pushing /lobbing as an organisation for these legislation changes.
sorry excuse the rant.
regards Robert

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
9 Jun 2010 11:23AM

John,
thanks for the comment,
I have a brand new school with a sever disapility unit currently about 20 students in electrical wheel chairs soon to rise to 50ish intergrated into main streem secoundary school.
this is unique to my knowledge and the decision to have them attached to the school was a moth before we moved in so no consultation on design use of the building was undertaken. I have had to hit the ground running on this and have had to make alterations to my fire systems and evac procedures which has had to include use of lifts.
the school is over 4 levels and six blocks with two lifts only one of which access L4 in three of the blocks. I have had through drills and evacuations and debriefings had to ammend /revieiw risk assessments and evacuation procedures constantly. the final intake starts this september which will take us up to full capacity and i am anticipating having to make further changes.
the lifts where not designed for use or anticipation of there need to be used during an evacuation by the architects. I have had to have overide key switches fitted to allow use of lifts during there shut down when fire alarm activates. Evacuation of a disabled student in an electronic wheel chair took in access of twenty minutes. this involved having to remove him from the wheel chair and carry him down as he was not suitable for evac chair as are most of the students. this was unacceptable also brought into highlight all sorts of manual handling issues. use of lift allows student to be out of building and at assembly point in 6 minutes two minutes longer than full evacuation for full able body student. We have also restricted numbers of wheel chair users to 7 at any time on level 4. Investigation of alternative methods for evacuation of students in wheel chairs has led me to decide on the purchase of an AA major wheel on chair lift at a cost of 8K. this tracked vehicle after much research gives me maximum flexability around the building as it can be moved to any stairwell within the school. installation of another fire rated lift with battery back up is restricted to an area and means major construction cost for installation and modification and does not give me flexability.
hope any of you reading this finds this usefull going to be in london on the 30th at an event looking at updated information on disability evacuation.
regards robert

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
22 May 2009 12:41PM

Cannot say that ties are an issue at my school all though I have found this amusing I see this as a dresscode/ behaviour issue. Also a low risk Issue that I would not have considered doing a risk assesment for although with the ADT machine shop it is possably something for the teachers to think about whilst planning there lessons.

On another thread is anyone aware of there being any regulation to install hand hygiene units in school class rooms before I phone a rep back and give him a mouth full for wasting my secretarys time. I understood this was advisory guidance for Swine flu. I also recall IOSH putting out advice for the work place but cannot find any legal requirement to actually install units in every classroom as you would in a hospital enviroment.
Your thoughts and comments appreciated. Regards Robert

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
9 Feb 2009 11:07AM

I find this an interesting development and thing this should be part of the fire strategy of any new build. I am eighteen months into the occupation of a new school and can say that I have implemented a number of improvements to the fire systems that have come out of drills and activations which where total unforseen until we had been using the site for some time.

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
26 Dec 2008 6:03PM

Frank, Mike thanks for your comments Happy new year to you both indeed to you all. Robert

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
24 Dec 2008 12:22PM

Hi, interesting comments.
As a facility manager I am a main key holder. the out of hours set up is a security company as first responce then myself then another senior manager.
The expectation is that I am always contactable there for always on call.
Some issue require my return to the work place which I would then claim pay for. however 80% of the time wether at home or out shoping I can deal with the issue over the phone. my question is does that 1 minute or ten minute conversation count as being called out and would i legally be intittled to but in for a callout pay claim minimum 2hours pay as per company policy?

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
14 Jun 2008 11:40AM

I am shocked by what I have read here and wish you all the best in whatever action you decide upon. I would say from personal experience when my wife went through something similiar she used the companies policies and procedures against them as they had ignored them at every turn. It looks like your company are doing the same get copies read and study them if you intend to move forward with any action on your own.

Robert Moloney
Member - 10 posts
22 May 2008 8:36AM

An interesting article it would be good to have feed back on the questions.
As electronics can be found in every part of modern life from the work place to the home.